Thursday, October 23, 2014

Don't Move Rocks!

Hey Everyone,

I saw this video today and thought it was eye opening. I have seen several Hellbenders in my day and never thought much of them until a couple years ago. I was up in the smokies with some friends on a backcountry fly fishing/tenkara trip. My buddy Jamie came running to me to tell me about a huge salamander that he had just seen. I told him what it was and that it was an awesome sign. I had seen something online that the wildlife resources commission wanted people to report any Hellbender sightings, so as soon as we got back I did just that. I know they are an ecological indicator species and started to think about how beautiful that particular stream was. I started to realize that every time that I had seen a hellbender, the fishing on that stream was exceptionally good. So you may not be a salamander fan but you're probably a trout fan since you're reading this site. So this just goes to show you that if you help to protect Hellbenders you end up protecting everything else.

Here is that cool video.

 
The Last Dragons - Protecting Appalachia's Hellbenders from Freshwaters Illustrated on Vimeo.


See you on the trail,
Lance

1 comment: